04 Aug Nicholas’s Famous Lobster Rolls
Yield 4 Lobster Rolls
Lobster rolls are my go-to dish for outdoor celebrations. Ever since I wrote about the rolls I made for an employee BBQ, it’s been the #1 point of recipe harassment by Nicholas Wines’ customers that double as amateur chefs. The truth is lobster rolls don’t take much cooking skill. Here’s how I make them.
- 2 1.5lb lobsters steamed with the meat removed. A lot of fish markets will steam them for you if you ask. (I give detail on page 112 of Nicholas: The Cookbook on how to remove the meat.)
- 1 cup mayo (I make my own because I’m stubborn, but I suggest Hellman’s doctored with celery salt, lemon juice & salt.)
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 4 Lobster roll buns (I’m a purist & like the ones with the slit on the top but… I think a potato hot dog roll is just as good.)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Chop lobster meat into large chunks. Don’t cut it too small. It’s not tuna salad. Make sure the meat is dried with no residual water.
- Add celery & chives
- Add mayo a little at a time & mix until it is the consistency that you like. You might want more mayo, you might want less.
- Check your seasoning & adjust with a little lemon juice & salt to taste.
- Spread some of the melted butter on bun & toast until golden brown.
- Divide the salad evenly among the 4 buns & drizzle the melted butter over the top.
- Serve with your favorite side.
Best Wines for Fish Tacos
Château Villeneuve Saumur Blanc 2018
The 2018 Chateau Villeneuve Saumur Blanc is a stunner. It mixes aromas of ripe apple and melon mingled with ginger and honeysuckle all elegantly lifting from the glass and leading to a concentrated core of peach and apricot flavors. The finish lasts forever– chalky, super crisp and as mineral as can be.
Damien Pinon Vouvray Sec Tuffo 2017
The Tuffo cuvee is intensely aromatic and loaded with flavors of quince and apple. It has a wonderful complexity to it, hitting at first with burst of fresh fruit and finishing with a vibrant minerality.
Weingut Freiherren Von Heddesdorff Riesling Feinherb 2015
The 2015 Riesling Feinherbhas an elegant bouquet of minerals, wet stone and ripe fruit. On the palate, the wine’s slight off-dry component is beautifully balanced by the steely acidity typical of the Mosel. If Riesling is your cup of tea, this one is not too dry, not too sweet but just right.