12 Jul Killer Fish Taco Recipe
Yield 12 tacos
I don’t miss San Diego very much but I do miss those tacos. Good ones on the East Coast are few and far between so I had to come up with my own recipe. Give it a try, it’s a great summertime treat….
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Pale Beer
- 2 TBSP Corn Starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Mix together all ingredients & mix until smooth. Set aside
- 3 cups sour cream
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chipolte powder
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Whisk together all ingredients
- 1.5 lbs fresh cod cut into finger sized strips
- 24 white corn tortilla (don’t go for the flour tortilla. It’s just not the same)
- Wrap in foil & heat in an 350 degree oven until soft & moist.
- 1 head green cabbage cored & fine julienned
- 2 ripe tomatoes concassed
- 2 Jalapenos fine julienned (seeds removed)
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Pre heat fryer to 350 degrees
- Dip each piece of fish in batter and carefully place in fryer. Don’t overload the fryer. Do this in multiple batches.
- When the fish is golden brown remove & place on a sheet pan with paper towels.
- Season with salt.
- Double layer 2 tortillas per taco
- Spread a Tbsp of Sauce on the tortilla, then add a handful of cabbage.
- Place 2 pieces of cooked cod on top of cabbage
- Garnish with tomato, chopped cilantro & jalapeno
Best Wines for Fish Tacos
Frenzy Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2018$15.00
The 2018 Frenzy Malborough Sauvignon Blanc is a fabulous value white wine, loaded with green apples, pears and white peaches plus a hint of spice. It’s juicy and fresh, the perfect cocktail hour white. It’s what is referred to as the perfect ‘pool wine’. It’s great paired with just about anything or just enjoyed on its own.
Ojai Bien Nacido Chardonnay 2017$34.00
Adam Tolmach of Ojai is one of the pioneers of Santa Barbara County. He founded Au Bon Climat with Jim Clendenen, then moved on to start Ojai in 1983. His 2017 Bien Nacido Chardonnay is an incredibly aristocratic, elegant wine unlike most that chooses a balanced, finesse style over sheer power. This is a serious Chardonnay!